With just a few clicks, you can keep your PC awake for as long as you need it to be.
Windows 10 automatically turns off your laptop or desktop display after a predetermined amount of time. You can change the time it takes for Windows 10 OS to do so, but what if you want to stop the system from turning off the display at all?
Let’s explore how to stop Windows 10 from turning off your monitor or going to sleep.
How to Stop Windows 10 From Turning Off Your Display
When you need to download a huge file over the internet overnight, you’ll want to leave your device on throughout the night. Unfortunately, when left to its own devices, Windows 10 will put itself to sleep and stop the downloading process.
The next time you need to do so, turning off this feature will save you the headache of waking up only to find out Windows 10 forced your device to sleep.
- Select the Start menu by hitting the Windows key on your keyboard or selecting the Windows logo at the taskbar’s bottom left side.
- Next, select Settings. It’s the little gear icon on the left of the Start menu. Alternatively, you can press Windows + I.
- Choose System, then Power & sleep from the right navigation menu.
- If you’re using a laptop, click the drop-down menu under On battery power, turn off after under Screen and select Never. Additionally, select Never under When plugged in, turned off after. Also, do the same for the Sleep section under Power and sleep.
- Select the drop-down menu under When Plugged In and set it to Never under both the Screen and Sleep categories.
Once you’ve set these settings, Windows 10 will not turn off your screen or sleep when idle. You can also prevent your Windows laptop from sleeping when the lid is closed if your laptop’s screen is a little too bright.
Should You Disable Windows 10 From Turning Off the Display?
Now that you know how to stop Windows 10 from turning off the display, should you do it, and what are the consequences?
If you have a laptop, keeping your laptop running for hours will lead to heat generation and will kill your laptop over time. Disabling these features will also result waste your laptop’s battery power. As such, your laptop’s battery longevity will be adversely affected.
Keep Windows 10 Screen Active at All Times
Windows 10 gets to choose when your screen turns off by default, but, you do have the liberty to adjust the time. If you’d prefer your PC to never go to sleep, you can set that up with just a few easy steps.
Sometimes you want to stop a PC from sleeping, and sometimes you want it to stay asleep without waking up. If something keeps prodding your computer awake, there are ways to check what’s doing it and give your PC a good night’s rest.
Is your PC randomly turning on from sleep? Here are several ways to stop Windows 10 from waking up without your consent.
About The Author