Rocky road is the ideal no-bake treat to make with kids. You can make 16 squares using this easy rocky road recipe.
It takes just 15 minutes to prep this sweet treat made with seven ingredients; butter, chocolate, golden syrup, Maltesers, chocolate chips, marshmallows, and ginger biscuits. It takes just six steps to make a rocky road – and our video guide makes it even simpler. Make ahead and leave to set for at least two hours in the fridge before serving.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 225g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- 100g Maltesers®
- 100g mixed milk and white chocolate chips
- 100g mini marshmallows
- 225g ginger biscuits, broken into pieces
- Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking parchment.
- In a small pan, heat the butter, plain chocolate and golden syrup and stir together with a wooden spoon. Once melted together, leave to cool for 10 mins.
- In a large bowl, place the Maltesers®, milk and white chocolate chip, mini marshmallows, ginger biscuits and bind together with the melted chocolate sauce.
- Pour into the lined tin and leave to set in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hrs.
- Remove from cake tin and slice into 16 snack-sized rocky road bars.
- Dust the rocky road with icing sugar to serve.
Watch how to make rocky road
Top tips for making rocky road
If you’re vegan, you can make rocky road with vegan chocolate and vegan marshmallows.
What can you use instead of golden syrup to make rocky road?
If you don’t have golden syrup you can use other syrups or honey. You might want to choose mild honey so it doesn’t impact the flavour of the bars.
What is the best chocolate to use to make rocky road?
In this recipe we’ve chosen to use plain chocolate – you can use dark, milk or white – the choice is yours. Higher quality chocolate will make extra rich, luxuriously creamy rocky road whereas cheaper brands will lead to extra sweet, sugary rocky road. The best rule to follow is to pick chocolate that you and your family like the taste of in general. Avoid baking chocolate.
You might also like…
Rocky road ice cream (opens in new tab)
Rocky road brownies (opens in new tab)
Rocky road cake (opens in new tab)