Home tik tok Celebrities Parody News Lifestyle Must Watch Fashion Animals Most Featured

Chroming: The Viral TikTok Trend That Ends Tragically for Teens

Author Avatar
By Jessy Sloan - - 5 Mins Read
Cans of air fresheners arranged on a shop shelf
Chroming trends gets young Tiktokers inhaling cans of sprays of all kinds | Shutterstock

The fast-paced world of Tiktok is often filled with new trends that can quickly grasp the attention of its users. However, some trends can be potentially harmful and lead to negative emotions.

It is important for Tiktok users to be aware of these trends and to take steps to avoid them. By staying informed and being responsible, we can all help to create a safer and more positive TikTok experience for everyone.

Once again, another episode of these dangerous Tiktok trends has completed its cycle as it was recently reported that an 11-year-old boy died after joining the viral chroming Tiktok challenge in the United Kingdom.

The boy, identified as Tommie-Lee Gracie Billington, was found dead at a friend's house on the 2nd of March after he tried participating in the challenge, according to reports.

It was reported that the young boy suffered from cardiac arrest after he participated in the dangerous chroming Tiktok trend during a sleepover, according to his grandmother Tina Burns.

What Is Chroming TikTok Trend About?

The Chroming Tiktok trend is a dangerous trend in which participants inhale toxic fumes and dangerous chemicals, such as gasoline, paint removers, hair sprays, lighter fluids, detergents, and others.

This practice temporarily heightens the mood of the participants, making them high and causing them to behave in certain ways. Young adults and teenagers have joined the growing charming Tiktok trend.  

According to the American Addiction Center on Tiktok, these substances can result in dangerous euphoric effects such as vomiting, cardiac failure, dizziness, or brain damage.

Yet, these concerns don't seem to deter young people as the fear of missing out has pushed several participants to join the chroming challenge.

At the same time, they deliberately ignore the dangers of the chroming challenge as though they are unaware of its consequences.

Long-term effects of inhaling these substances can result in lower IQ, memory loss, impaired judgment, and inability to concentrate.

Tommie-Lee's grandmother, Tina Burns, took to her Facebook page to express her deep feelings of hurt.

She said, "I've never felt a pain like this, my baby boy. You will forever be in my heart. I will make sure that your name and beautiful face become the reason why other children's lives will be saved."


Tommie-Lee poses for a photo with father
Tommie-Lee poses with father | Tina Burns/Facebook


Tiktok has barred all search results related to chroming trends, although videos posted on the platform from February to date have over seven hundred thousand views, the trend has extended to other social media sites.

Dangerous TikTok Trends 

Other dangerous Tiktok trends to avoid are the Benadryl challenge, choking challenge, Penny challenge, Skull breaker challenge, salt challenge, Bird challenge, and many others that have led to the death of the participants.

Just last year, a 13-year-old boy, Jacob Steven, died while engaging in the Benadryl Tiktok challenge. He was also participating with his friends when he took the antihistamine.

Experts say that overdosing on Benadryl can lead to seizures, coma, or death. Jacob was placed on a ventilator for one week before he finally gave up.