Home tik tok Celebrities Parody News Lifestyle Must Watch Fashion Animals Most Featured

Health Professionals Warn Tiktokers of Dangerous After Effects New Trend

Author Avatar
By Dewey Olson - - 5 Mins Read
Featured Image

A Tik Tok challenge that promotes digestion of a laundry-washing substance called borax has been trending online, and health specialists have warned those planning to take on the challenge about the health implications of consuming the harmful substance.

Borax, also known as sodium borate, tetraborate sodium, or disodium tetraborate, is a natural mineral containing boron, sodium, and oxygen. It has been used as a cleaning agent and laundry detergent for a long time. However, the recent trend of consuming borax as part of a TikTok challenge is alarming and concerning.


Indeed, Little quantities of borax can be found in cosmetics, toothpaste, and insecticides; medical practitioners confirm that ingesting the substance can be hazardous to the human body. Calling it the most absurd health trend ever seen. 

How Is The Borax Tik Tok Challenge Done?

The borax-eating TikTok challenge is one of the latest weird Tiktok challenges that have gone viral for being dangerous. This trend is a practice where users on tik tok mix some quantity of the borax detergent in a cup of water to drink.


Some individuals believe that consuming a particular mixture can aid in managing various health conditions, including erectile dysfunction and kidney stones, alleviate pain, enhance bone health, and ease osteoarthritis, among other ailments.


Additionally, they suggest adding a small amount of borax detergent to bathwater can result in healthier, glowing skin.


What Are The Dangers Of The Borax Eating Tik Tok Challenge?


Dr Karthik Ramani who is a professor of Medicine from Michigan, explains in medicine news that Borax chemical is different from boron and it's a powdery form of a white substance that can also tour to as sodium tetraborate, disodium tetraborate," or sodium borate. 


He further explains that the substance is neither a consumable-grade nor a dietary ingredient nor a pharmaceutically acceptable ingredient. The Food and Drug Administration of the United States is yet to approve the substance healthy for human consumption as a food or beverage, and this is why everyone should never try out the challenge.


Several reports of food poisoning have also led to acute kidney failure and multi-organ dysfunction. This poisoning includes symptoms of queasiness, fatigue,  vomiting, itching, malaise, and feet swelling. Anyone who feels these symptoms is advised to visit the hospital for a check and may need to periodically clear toxins and fluids already in the body system.


Dr Karthik Ramani said, "If you are experiencing any kidney issues due to the borax intake, you should visit a qualified health centre with immediate effect for professional care, either the local center for food poisoning or the nearest emergency center.


Additional signs of borax poisoning can trigger severe nausea, skin irritations, or other allergic responses. In some cases, it can cause respiratory difficulties and seizures.


Ramani advised families and asked parents to caution their children from trying such dangerous trends on social media.